UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones pleads guilty to DWI offence

admin
Read Time:1 Minute, 18 Second

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has pleaded guilty to his second drunken-driving offence.

Court records show the 32-year-old entered a plea on Tuesday and received a sentence of one year of supervised probation.

Jones also was ordered to complete at least 90 days’ out-patient treatment, pay maximum fines and fees, and complete community service.

As part of a plea agreement, prosecutors dropped other charges, including possession of an open container, no proof of insurance and negligent use of a deadly weapon.

Jones released a statement apologising for the incident.

“I accept full responsibility for my actions and I know that I have some personal work to do, which involves the unhealthy relationship I have with alcohol,” Jones said.

Jones was arrested in Albuquerque last week on suspicion of aggravated DWI, negligent use of firearms, possession of an open container of alcohol, and no proof of insurance for a vehicle, police said.

According to police, Jones was found at approximately 1am in the driver’s seat of a parked vehicle with the engine running. Authorities said Jones showed signs of intoxication, and that a handgun and half-empty bottle of liquor were in the vehicle.

In 2015, Jones pleaded guilty to leaving the scene of an accident following a hit-and-run crash in Albuquerque that left a pregnant woman injured. Under a plea agreement, he avoided jail time and was ordered to serve up to 18 months of supervised probation.

Jones (26-1) retained his title in February by controversially beating Dominick Reyes via unanimous decision.

0 0
Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleppy
Sleppy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next Post

Dominick Cruz denies rejecting the Cory Sandhagen fight, clarifying he wanted someone who gets him closer to a title shot.

Early this month, Cory Sandhagen claimed to have agreed to fight former UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz. Almost a couple of weeks later, Sandhagen declared the match up off table, stating it was Cruz who backed out.  Cruz remained quiet from his end all this time, until he cleared the air in a […]

Subscribe US Now